53 West Jackson Blvd, Suite 1340

Chicago, IL 60604

TEL: (312) 362-9844

Immigration/Green Card Through Family Sponsorship

Green Card through Relatives (Family Immigration)

immigrationObtaining a Green Card through Relatives is one option for individuals who have close relatives or family members who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents. Family members will be eligible to apply for a permanent residence (Green Card) if the sponsoring relative is a United States citizen by birth, derived citizenship or through naturalization. The family member who will sponsor you for a Green Card can be your immediate relative or preference relative. The term immediate relative applies to relatives of U.S. citizens, including spouses, parents, and children under 21 years of age. The term preference relative applies to certain other relatives of U.S. citizens and permanent residents. Preference relatives include married and unmarried sons or daughters (over 21 years) of U.S. citizens; brothers and/or sisters of U.S. citizens. Also included as preference relatives are spouses, minor children, and unmarried sons or daughters (over 21 years) of U.S. permanent residents. Preference relatives cannot obtain permanent residence until their priority dates are current.

Immediate relatives do not face waiting times for visa availability. Immediate relatives in the United States may qualify to file Form I-485 to adjust status. Preference relatives often face very long waiting times due to strict annual limits on permanent immigration benefits. The length of the wait depends upon which family preference category is appropriate as well as the country of origin.

Immediate Relatives: No waiting time for visa availability

  • Husband or wife – through marriage
  • Parent – Father and/or Mother
  • Children – Son or Daughter under 21 years of age
  • Children – Son or Daughter (including children born out of wedlock)
  • Step-son or Step-Daughter under 21 years of age
Preference Relatives: Long waiting period for visa availability
  • Husband or Wife of Permanent Residents
  • Children – Sons or Daughters under or over 21 years of age and unmarried Sons and Daughters of Permanent Residents
  • Children – married and unmarried Sons and Daughters over the age of 21 years of U.S. citizens
  • Brothers or Sisters (including half-brothers and half-sisters) of U.S. citizens
Other Family Members who can sponsor/petition for you for Green Card
  • Widow or widower of a U.S. citizen
  • Brother or sister (including half-brothers and half-sisters)
  • Son or daughter (including children born out of wed lock)
  • Step-son or step-daughter
  • Stepparent of a U.S. citizen child
  • Adopted son or daughter
  • Adopted parent
  • Father or mother
  • Battered or abused spouse or child
Contact us today at (312) 362-9844 and We Can Help You: The Law Office of EBERE N. EKECHUKWU & ASSOCIATES, P.C. provides advice and represents individuals who are seeking U.S. immigration benefits through family member sponsorships. We explain the legal issues, prepare and file the required forms and applications, guide, prepare and represent clients at interviews at USCIS offices in the U. S. and U.S. Consulates overseas.

Our Offices
Chicago Office

53 West Jackson Boulevard,

Suite 1340,

Chicago, Illinois 60604

TEL: (312) 362-9844

FAX: (312) 362-9877

Oak Brook Office

2210 Midwest Road,

Suite 204,

Oak Brook, Illinois 60523

TEL: (312) 362-9844

FAX: (312) 362-9877

Forest Park Office

1225 Harlem Avenue,

Forest Park, Illinois 60130

TEL: (708) 771-0766

FAX: (708) 657-4535